Heirloom Living Market is an online (virtual) market that is open for orders to be placed from 9:00 a.m. Saturday morning to Noon on Wednesday. Pickup is on Thursday from 4:30 to 7:30 at Gwinnett Gymnastics Center, 927 Killian Hill Rd., Lilburn Georgia 30047
Recipes in Season (0)
All Recipes (9)
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Paleo Buffalo Moussaka
Source: A recipe adapted from Grassfed Girl's blog. (Entered by Closed Account)
Want a delicious, easy, grain and dairy free moussaka? And made with water buffalo! Here you go.
1 T ghee or coconut oil
1 med onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 lb Premium water buffalo ground
1 tsp cinnamon, ground
6 oz tomato paste
1 cup water
1 large eggplant
3 T parsley, chopped
15 oz coconut milk
1/4 cup arrowroot powder (or tapioca flour)
1 egg, beaten
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt ghee or coconut oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and sauté until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add ground water buffalo, salt, pepper, and cinnamon. Break up the meat with a spatula and cook until just brown. No need to drain.
- Add water and tomato paste to meat mixture and stir until well combined. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the eggplant into bite-size cubes with the skin on. Place in same pan, lightly sprinkle with salt, and sauté until barely soft (about 5 minutes.)
- Place eggplant into a greased 9x9 square baking dish. Spread the meat mixture over the top of the eggplant and sprinkle with parsley.
- Set aside 1/4 c. of the coconut and pour remainder into the frying pan (still medium heat).
- Mix the arrowroot powder with the 1/4 cup of coconut milk until smooth.
- When the coconut milk in the frying pan begins to bubble, stir in the arrowroot mixture and a dash of salt and pepper.
- When the sauce thickens whisk in the beaten egg until smooth. Pour evenly over the meat and eggplant.
- Bake for 40 minutes and then broil for another 3-5 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing. This recipe is ideal for making ahead and freezing.
Comments added by fellow market members.